Earlier this year I started tracking my net worth, but wasn’t entirely comfortable putting the number completely out there, so I came up with a system where I on January 18, 2011 I took my positive net worth made it a zero. Feel free to check out my absolute zero net worth post. This way I can share my gains and loses.
The assets I include are:
- My Cash Savings Accounts
- My 401(k)
- The Wife’s Roth IRA
- My Small but Awesome Dividend Investment Portfolio
- Value of my House
- My Traditional IRA
The liabilities I include are:
- Law School Loans
What is missing?
- Car loan – Paid that off last month.
- Credit Card debt Don’t have any except a revolving AMEX account so no reason to put it up
- Checking Accounts – Always changing and moving kept low on purpose so no reason to track it
- Cars – I have no idea why people count cars as an asset. Its transportation not an asset.
- Jewelry - Lets be real The Wife isn’t going to let me pawn it so I can pump up my cash account so why include it.
My Net worth Update
- From August 1, 2011 to September 1, 2011 my net worth has increased 2.82%
- From January 18, 2011 to August 1,2011 my net worth has increased 50.98%
Last month, I wrote that
I am not upset by the number, but this is my lowest month to month gain since I started tracking.
Well this month I hit another low and it isn’t my fault! So, this month I am actually pretty mad. I invested my standard 401(k) amount yet my account balance is back to where it was 4 months ago. This almost (except 2.98% lol) entirely wipes out the gain I made in my cash account which is literally the most money I have ever saved in a month period, in my entire life (minus wedding gifts).
It is exciting to know one day these depressed values should cause an explosion in my 401(k) account, but right now it is frustrating as all hell!
How was your month? Do you have an update?
Nominated for a Plutus Award
If I had to guess I would say that 94% of blogger awards are given out just to garner a back link. The whole process really irritates me. However, I just found out I was nominated for that 6% of blogging awards that is not bullshit!A Plutus Award:
I was nominated in the Retirement Category which I don’t really get with some stiff competition:
ERE has written a book and Retire by 40 has already taken his first sabbatical how do I compete? Notwithstanding, the reason I am excited is because I had to have a few nominations by other bloggers and that to me is pretty cool. Now all I need is for you to vote for me!