November Net Worth–Remember To Back Up Your Information Edition

//November Net Worth–Remember To Back Up Your Information Edition

November Net Worth–Remember To Back Up Your Information Edition

I was shocked earlier this month when I went to update my Net worth spreadsheet only to find it was corrupt! I am not exactly sure what happened but since the file was password protected I couldn’t find anyone that could do both, extract the non-corrupt information and decrypt said information.  I thought that this 10 month experiment of zeroing out my net worth and sharing just my growth.  So consider this my PSA – Back up your files!

Since I have provided my growth on a month to month basis I was able to figure out the whole number result up to my last update.  I did lose about 6 months worth of individual balances but in the end that is nothing compared to knowing the whole number (and subsequent percentage) for purposes of tracking my progress.

Just as a reminder earlier this year I started tracking my net worth, but wasn’t entirely comfortable putting the number completely out there, so I came up with a system where I on January 18, 2011 I took my positive net worth made it a zero.  Feel free to check out my absolute zero net worth post.  This way I can share my gains and loses.

The assets I include are:

• My Cash Savings Accounts
  • My 401(k)
  • Random Non-Qualified Investments Accounts
  • The Wife’s Roth IRA
  • My Small but Awesome Dividend Investment Portfolio which I may change soon to include other dividend lists besides the dividend aristocrats
  • Value of my House
  • My Traditional IRA

The liabilities I include are:

What is missing?

• Car loan  – Paid it off a couple months ago.
  • Credit Card debt – Don’t  have any except a revolving AMEX account so no reason to put it up
  • Checking Accounts – Always changing and moving kept low on purpose so no reason to track it
  • Cars – Wife’s is leased and I don’t consider mine an asset

My Net worth Update

• From to October 1, 2011 to November 1, 2011 my net worth increased 5.54%!
  • From January 18, 2011 to August 1,2011 my net worth has increased 62.27%!

The previous two months I complained about the market, well it sees that until I leave my current income plateau it seems that the market will have more and more of an impact on my net worth….pretty frustrating.  I currently have three very viable streams of income between this blog, another online advertising venture and my “day job.”  I think it may be time to start another small one that wouldn’t take much time, but we’ll see I am spread pretty thin right now in terms of time.

How Was Your Month?

By | 2013-09-26T14:57:22+00:00 November 1st, 2011|Personal Situation|26 Comments

1. Kellen November 1, 2011 at 8:30 am - Reply

My blog has started to generate some income over the last couple of months. I figured my potential gains from my day job were more likely to be significant than what I earn blogging, but it really puts things in perspective when my annual raise increased my monthly paycheck by LESS than my new monthly blogging income!

• Evan November 1, 2011 at 11:00 am - Reply

There is almost zero chance that Blogging will ever touch my income at my job especially when you add in all the benefits of a match and insurance. Notwithstanding it is a FANTASTIC source of secondary income. Fantastic!

2. Liquid November 1, 2011 at 10:23 am - Reply

“Not backing up one’s data to insure it’s safety is like forgoing free insurance.” – KS

• Evan November 1, 2011 at 10:58 am - Reply

Great quote but who is KS?

• Liquid November 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm - Reply

My real initials (ツ)

3. Hunter November 1, 2011 at 12:26 pm - Reply

Nothing worse than losing digital info, especially something as simple as a spreadsheet. Tough lesson. Congratulations on a strong month, and a stronger year.

• Evan November 1, 2011 at 3:35 pm - Reply

• YFS November 2, 2011 at 12:01 am - Reply

I use google docs to maintain my financial spreadsheets. Free, in the cloud, and encrypted via https

4. retirebyforty November 1, 2011 at 1:22 pm - Reply

I saved the net worth data in a usb stick and the hard drive so it should be ok. October was quite good since the market went up quite a bit. At this point, market fluctuation effect my net worth much more than additional investment.

• Evan November 1, 2011 at 3:36 pm - Reply

Smart man. I had my info just on dropbox which was even more confusing.

5. Darwin's Money November 1, 2011 at 2:35 pm - Reply

I’ve had some spreadsheets that go awry over time as well; it’s maddening! I’m not sure how or why it happens. I had one that basically stopped updating all formulas even when the cell clearly showed a formula typed in. Oh well, definitely worth the reminder – back it up!

• Evan November 1, 2011 at 3:36 pm - Reply

That is such an odd problem how did you get around it?

6. Don November 1, 2011 at 5:23 pm - Reply

I hate when that happens!

I have a cheap jumpdrive that I use occasionally to backup my stuff. I created a batch file so all I have to do is double click the batch file and it runs while I go about my regular internet surfing ways…

As for my net worth, I’m really going to have to start tracking it, I’ve been slacking on my financial awareness lately.

• Evan November 1, 2011 at 9:59 pm - Reply

hahahah a batch file? I haven’t seen one of those since Windows 98

7. 20's Finances November 2, 2011 at 7:33 am - Reply

I am getting ready to calculate my month. I just got power back last night and still have today off because my work is still dealing with the tree limbs. As a result, I have lots of free time to blog and get to my monthly budget! I can’t wait!

• Evan November 6, 2011 at 8:56 pm - Reply

Did you do it yet? I’d love to check it out

8. Miss T November 2, 2011 at 12:53 pm - Reply

Sorry to hear about losing your stuff. Try using Crashplan. We use it at home and it works awesome. It doesn’t cost a lot either.

9. Jenna November 3, 2011 at 11:56 am - Reply

Thanks for the PSA. Glad you were able to figure out most of your numbers.

10. Suba November 3, 2011 at 12:10 pm - Reply

Sorry you couldn’t recover the data Evan. We use a usb/network drive and save it on Amazon cloud too. As we have our immigration documents in there it is even more important for us to back everything regularly.

• Evan November 6, 2011 at 8:57 pm - Reply

oooo immigration papers are a lot more important than my net worth calcs!

I have a portable HD but its so clunky and big.

11. Dana November 5, 2011 at 5:55 am - Reply

Sorry this had to happen to you. Thanks for the reminder (warning?) I’m not so good about backing up everything…

I agree that a blog is a great second income 🙂

• Evan November 6, 2011 at 8:57 pm - Reply

Do you share your blog income info?

12. Glen Craig November 6, 2011 at 9:51 am - Reply

My paranoia got the best of me over the summer and I finally got an external hard drive. I’ve also been playing around with using Amazon’s clod service for backups.

It paid off when I had a site hack scare. I was able to find my last backup and restore the fiels I needed.

• Evan November 6, 2011 at 8:59 pm - Reply

I have an external HD but it is clunky and big! Amazon might not be a bad idea though is it automatic?

• Glen Craig November 6, 2011 at 9:06 pm - Reply

There is probably some way to make it automatic but I don’t know how.

13. Jen November 8, 2011 at 5:54 pm - Reply

Awesome increase in your net worth. 🙂 A couple of years ago, I lost EVERYTHING and nothing could be recovered. Now, I do a back-up at least once per month, sometimes more often.