I was shocked earlier this month when I went to update my Net worth spreadsheet only to find it was corrupt! I am not exactly sure what happened but since the file was password protected I couldn’t find anyone that could do both, extract the non-corrupt information and decrypt said information. I thought that this 10 month experiment of zeroing out my net worth and sharing just my growth. So consider this my PSA – Back up your files!
Since I have provided my growth on a month to month basis I was able to figure out the whole number result up to my last update. I did lose about 6 months worth of individual balances but in the end that is nothing compared to knowing the whole number (and subsequent percentage) for purposes of tracking my progress.
Just as a reminder earlier this year I started tracking my net worth, but wasn’t entirely comfortable putting the number completely out there, so I came up with a system where I on January 18, 2011 I took my positive net worth made it a zero. Feel free to check out my absolute zero net worth post. This way I can share my gains and loses.
The assets I include are:
- My Cash Savings Accounts
- My 401(k)
- Random Non-Qualified Investments Accounts
- The Wife’s Roth IRA
- My Small but Awesome Dividend Investment Portfolio which I may change soon to include other dividend lists besides the dividend aristocrats
- Value of my House
- My Traditional IRA
The liabilities I include are:
- Law School Loans
What is missing?
- Car loan – Paid it off a couple months ago.
- Credit Card debt – Don’t have any except a revolving AMEX account so no reason to put it up
- Checking Accounts – Always changing and moving kept low on purpose so no reason to track it
- Cars – Wife’s is leased and I don’t consider mine an asset
My Net worth Update
- From to October 1, 2011 to November 1, 2011 my net worth increased 5.54%!
- From January 18, 2011 to August 1,2011 my net worth has increased 62.27%!
The previous two months I complained about the market, well it sees that until I leave my current income plateau it seems that the market will have more and more of an impact on my net worth….pretty frustrating. I currently have three very viable streams of income between this blog, another online advertising venture and my “day job.” I think it may be time to start another small one that wouldn’t take much time, but we’ll see I am spread pretty thin right now in terms of time.
How Was Your Month?