With another month in the books it is time to do my net worth update. Considering how well this experiment has gone recently it is hard for me not to get excited about writing this post at the beginning of each month. Just as a reminder, I started this net worth experiment a little over a year ago – in January of 2011 I took my net worth (Assets minus Liabilities) and zeroed out the result and then have shared my growth.
Some people love to see how I am doing, some people hate that it doesn’t provide prospective as to whether I am increasing my net worth by $100 bucks this month or $10,000 since I am only sharing percentages. I completely understand their annoyance, but isn’t this sharing better then no sharing at all?
Calculating my Net Worth
The assets I include are:
- My Cash Savings Accounts
- My 401(k)
- Random Non-Qualified Investments Accounts
- The Wife’s Roth IRA
- My favorite personal finance item, my small but Awesome Dividend Investment Portfolio
- Value of my House
- My Traditional IRA
The liabilities I include are:
- Law School Loans
What is missing?
- Car loan – Paid it off about 9 months ago
- Credit Card debt – Don’t have any except a revolving AMEX account so no reason to put it up
- Checking Accounts – Always changing and moving kept low on purpose so no reason to track it
- Cars – Wife’s is leased and I don’t consider mine an asset
My Net Worth Growth
- From January 2, 2012 to February 1, 2012 my net worth has increased 7.64%
- Year to Date number is obviously same as above.
- From January 2011 to February 2012 my net worth has increased 85.97%
How did you do so far in 2012? Please share your links below!