After denouncing the idea of tracking my networth for a year or two I started tracking my net worth since January 2011 and after my smallest gain in May 2012 and my first negative month in June 2012 I am back track!
Since I am not comfortable sharing whole numbers I provide growth information. I am well aware of the shortcomings of the calculation method, but have promised that if I grow to 400% from that Jan 2011 number I would share it with everyone.
Calculating my Net Worth
The assets I include are:
- My Cash Savings Accounts – This has been my main focus for well over a year, as we will need all the cash we can get when we finally move. I am excited to think of the possibilities when this isn’t our main focus.
- My 401(k)
- Random Non-Qualified Investment Accounts
- The Wife’s Roth IRA
- My favorite personal finance item, my small but Awesome Dividend Investment Portfolio
- Home Value
- My Traditional IRA – Which I started actively trading a few months back using a Covered Call Strategy and even created a page to track all my gains (and loses)
The liabilities I include are:
While I am lucky to only have 2 main liabilities, they are very significant.
- Law School Loans
What is missing?
- Car loan – My car is paid off and I don’t consider it an asset and The Wife leases her car.
- Credit Card debt – Don’t have any except a revolving AMEX account so no reason to put it up
- Checking Accounts – Always changing and moving and since I keep myself cash poor there isn’t a reason to track the account
My Net Worth Growth
- From June 2012 to July 2012 my net worth increased 4.12%
- Year to Date my net worth has increased 26.78%
- From January 2011 to July 2012 my net worth has increased 119.05%
How was your financial month?