I Don’t Understand Why these Three Businesses are Illegal

//I Don’t Understand Why these Three Businesses are Illegal

I Don’t Understand Why these Three Businesses are Illegal

There are certain types of businesses that are not currently legal in most of the Country, and it makes no sense to me.  The only justifications I can come up why these types of businesses are illegal are tradition and/or a particular 3rd party trying to keep market share.  Obviously my examples below are inherently limited as to my values which, granted, may be pushing the limits for some while restraining to others.

Why are These Businesses Illegal?

Sports Gambling

Why is sports gambling still illegal in the US?  Is it to deter gambling? This is just bullshit.  Literally, anyone in America can place a sports bet offshore, and this happens despite of SPECIFIC legislation to try and stop it. Besides, I don’t think there is a person in America more than 250 miles from a casino to place a different kind of bet whether it is a slots only type casino or one with table games.  Even the local and State government run their own form of gambling in the form of the lottery.  Who didn’t “gamble” when Powerball was above a billion and a half dollars a few weeks ago?

Is it because we care what other countries think of us? Sports gambling is legal in the UK, and the underlying companies are even traded on their exchange!

According to the Washington Post,

While nearly $4 billion is bet on sports legally in Las Vegas yearly, an estimated $80 billion to $380 billion is wagered illegally through a shadow industry of offshore online betting houses, office pools and neighborhood bookmakers

Even if we take the low end of $80,000,000,000 that is a tremendous amount of tax dollars not being claimed as income.  Bring it above board. Legalize it, regulate it (to an extent) and tax it (to an extent)!

Prostitution has been around as long as humans have written down history.  In it its most basic form it is a service contract between two willing and able parties.  What do I care if the “thing” someone wants to sell is their body?

To say that prostitution should be illegal because of a sex trafficking, seems like a red herring argument to me.  Imagine if all those officers that are busting guys for getting a happy ending massage put their skill and experience into something that should actually be stopped like indentured servitude and trafficking of minors.

Make the sellers get tested and tax the transaction.

Recreational Marijuana

Taking a step towards logic, States are starting to decriminalize and some are actually making recreational marijuana legal.  My guess is that in my lifetime it will be legal in the majority of States.  Again, I can’t figure out *why* weed is illegal? It can’t be a safety thing! I have never read anything to say it was anywhere near as dangerous as alcohol.  The fact that we use our officers and prisons to regulate this currently illegal drug is almost maddening.  Is it because a gateway drug? DrugAbuse.gov states that while hard drug users may have used marijuana first,

…most people who use marijuana do not go on to use other, “harder” substances. Also, cross-sensitization is not unique to marijuana. Alcohol and nicotine also prime the brain for a heightened response to other drugs and are, like marijuana, also typically used before a person progresses to other, more harmful substances.

Again, legalize it and tax it!

Are there any other businesses you believe should be legalized?

By | 2016-01-27T11:40:05+00:00 January 26th, 2016|Random|10 Comments

1. Mike A. January 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm - Reply

LOL…Spoken like a true red doper diaper youngster. The reason they are outlawed is because this society is still clinging to traits that promote the moral values of your forefathers. I realize you know nothing of that.

O’Bummer has done a lot in his eight years to destroy any moral ideals in the USA, but there are still a lot of people around who know these things lead to all out VICE and an anything goes attitude in America. Is that what what you want? Anything goes in America? Well, this election should pave the course. Let’s see.

Either we elect someone to overcome O’Bummer, or you get your wish. If Bernie or Hilary are elected, you can smoke pot, while getting a blowjob from a prostitute, as you bet on the Superbowl. Nice for you.

Bravo, great country vision.

• Evan January 27, 2016 at 12:07 am - Reply

Mike, first off you are acting like I am a 17 year old hipster from Brooklyn. I am 34 years old with two children, a career, etc., I am entitled to an opinion that may differ from yours without being talked down like I am some child.

Second, I am not a fan of President Obama, nor have I ever voted for a Democrat in my lifetime. If I had to classify myself it would be that of a libertarian. Fiscally conservative but socially liberal with a limited government.

With all that out of the way, I don’t smoke pot nor do I visit prostitutes but I don’t see that as a reason that the guy next to me can’t do both of those things.

Do you ever have a few beers? Partake in some fantastic single malt scotch? Light up a nice cigar? Play some cards either at a casino or buddy’s place? All of those things would be considered a Vice as well. Do you really think someone placing a bet on the Superbowl is different then playing blackjack?

I am not being dismissive in terms of a conversation but relying on our forefather’s morals does not exactly inspire me to keep things illegal. It is like saying, “lets rely on the bible and ignoring all the stuff about stoning homosexuals and killing those that steal a sheep.”

• Larry Ludwig January 27, 2016 at 8:50 am - Reply

Who are you to instill YOUR moral values on others? If it doesn’t affect you why should you care? I also do not do any of the things but why force others to not do these items?

They will still occur and if anything happen in the black market which causes other problems.

• Evan January 27, 2016 at 9:49 am - Reply

Happy to have a conversation about it, but Mike clearly had some type of soapbox he wanted to scream from.

• Dave January 27, 2016 at 6:07 pm - Reply

I bet you’re just a blast to hang out with.

2. Lazy Man and Money January 27, 2016 at 9:38 am - Reply

George Carlin once said, “I don’t understand why prostitution is illegal. Selling is legal, [sex] is legal. So, why isn’t it legal to sell [sex]?” He used a more colorful term for sex.

Have to agree with that. I’ve often wondered if you could legally sell an expensive pack of 3 condoms with a “free bonus trial.”

I don’t understand sports gambling either. I presume it is to keep more people focused on the lottery which brings in revenue for the state. However, sports gambling could be heavily taxed. Maybe the thought is that it might corrupt the sports if everyone in America could easily gamble on them.

And while I live near a few casinos in New England, I don’t think any of them run a sports book.

As you know some states have legalized marijuana. I think it’s probably the next same-sex marriage… something that will be changed to being legal once enough people attack the status quo.

• Evan January 27, 2016 at 9:53 am - Reply

Love Carlin stuff!

I could be wrong, but I don’t believe there are any US sports books outside of Vegas. I know there isn’t one in AC – it is actually an interesting story about missing paperwork (http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2014/06/24/court-rejects-sports-book-in-nj/).

The same sex marriage baffled me for years, and thankfully, that has been overturned.

• Lazy Man and Money January 27, 2016 at 11:29 am - Reply

As I was reading it, I thought you were implying that everyone could just go to a local-ish casino and bet on sports like they can do with offshore betting.

3. Roadmap2Retire January 28, 2016 at 1:39 pm - Reply

Legalize it. Tax it. Let go for the jaded dark-age laws. People tend to think that somehow our ancestors had more knowledge and knew better than we ever could. Out with the old, I say 🙂

• Evan January 28, 2016 at 2:54 pm - Reply

R2R it doesn’t even seem like our ancestors weren’t into the three “vices”! You can go as far back in history as you want and you’ll find prostitution, gambling and humans getting F’ed up.