After my terrible January I was excited for February for both personal and monetary reasons. Overall February was a much better month in the mental health department. The Wife and I are adapting to our new home pretty nicely. Actually it has been a lot smoother than I expected with just a few hiccups (like running out of oil and closing the flue a bit too early). Considering the shittiness that was January I couldn’t imagine anything happening in February that would have come close to comparing.
As far as my finances, the bleeding has slowed down which is nice. It should be just about down this upcoming month. My net worth is down for the month I think it is because the January numbers were not as accurate as they should have been. For example I used the number of $385,000 for my mortgage but since I had no statement I didn’t know the exact amount. It was actually $388,000 to start so January’s debt numbers were low pushing my net worth up. But come on, last month, I was down 13% the $3k miscalculation wasn’t really the reason! It was simply an add on that I think shows the bleeding has finally stopped since I lost less than 2% this month.
Calculating my Net Worth
- My Cash Savings Accounts – After 2+ months of flux I think this account is back to its normal boring self, except it has been cut in a third! Ouch. Most of it has been turned into the illiquid asset of our home since I put 20% down. Sometime this month I am going to figure out just how much money should be in the account.
- My 401(k) – Just keep throwing part of my paycheck at my
newlynot so newly rebalanced and reallocated my 401(k).
- Random Non-Qualified Investment Accounts
- The Wife’s Roth IRA – This account only holds to 2 funds. An index fund of the market and a dividend paying fund.
- My Dividend Investment Portfolio – Easily my favorite part of my financial
- Home Value – A lot of bloggers seem to stress over home value. In my old place I just rounded to a number that I thought I’d sell for (I was off by less than 1%), I think I am just going to use my purchase price for the year and worry about it next year.
- My Traditional IRA – Been trading using my covered call strategy and I recently just bet against my first stock last month!
- My Mortgage – I finally got my first mortgage statement. Since I bought in mid-January I didn’t get a bill for Jan or Feb. I was off on the number that I owed, but not too terribly.
- Law School debt – While I recently paid off the much smaller of the loans I have a while before this category makes any significant moves.
- Credit Card debt!
I haven’t had credit card debt in 3 or so years, but with all these new purchases I knew it was coming. I called up all my dormant credit cards to see what they could do in terms of 0% on purchases. One of them offered me 0% until June 2014! The Wife and I have been using that card as our main card since I am thinking about breaking up with American Express. So, not sure how much I am treading water or how much I am just paying for living expenses. Have to figure this out asap.
While I have the liquidity to pay off the debt I prefer not because I respect liquidity way too much and the debt is at 0%. The debt isn’t as much as when I started this blog (~$18K) but it is a good amount.
My Net Worth
- From February 2013 to March 2013 my net worth
Much better than the 13%+ I lost last month! I think going forward I will get back to increasing my net worth month over month 97% of the time (only missed a few months over the course of 2 years).
How was your month?