On November’s Net Worth Update a commenter made note that my net worth has not increased nearly as much as the market. My initial reaction was to think about all that was done financially this year (house purchase, house repairs, etc.), but upon further thought it leads me to the question of whether correlation is such a great thing?
If I was directly correlated to the market there could be short term drops of 10%+ (or in the case of 2008 a 30% drop) – or 30%+ positive movement as is the case this year with the market. Not sure I could stomach my entire net worth raising and dropping with the market. Notwithstanding, I have noticed over the past few years it seems like that is an inevitability.
Alright end of this random thought lol
My Short Term Financial Goals
I finished the last of my $5,000 goals in June and gave myself some new ones:
- Contribute $500 to my Traditional IRA – Finished this up two months ago.
- Save $500 into my Son’s 529 – Went from 65% to 80%
- Save $1,000 in cash towards a future investment property purchase – Went from 22.5% to 45%
- Invest $1,500 into my Dividend Portfolio – Finished two months ago!
- Save up $750 to allocate to my whole life insurance policies – Went from 23.2% to 24.93%
- Save $750 in the house repair fund – Went from 73.3% to 89.3%
I am very disappointed in myself on how long this set of goals is taking! When my bonus clears (hopefully before 12/31) they will all be set and done. I think next year I need to cut back on spending as I can control that a lot easier than my income.
I don’t really have debt that can be killed off quickly (law school loan and mortgage). Both have significant balances and are both fixed under 4%. Seems counterproductive to try and eliminate them quickly since they won’t affect my cash flow for a long long time.
Calculating my Net Worth
- My Cash Savings Accounts – I only really count my emergency savings since everything else is ear marked to be spent elsewhere. For example, the above house improvement fund isn’t included. I had to invade the emergency fund for the chimney but as soon as I am done with my short term goals outlined above I will get going on replenishing this account asap.
- My 401(k) – Just keep throwing part of my paycheck at my 401(k) even though I sort of hate my 401k. This past month I made the decision to put my 401(k) contributions in cash until the markets cool down.
- Random Non-Qualified Investment Accounts
- The Wife’s Roth IRA – This account only holds to 2 funds. An index fund of the market and a dividend paying fund.
- My Dividend Investment Portfolio – Easily my favorite part of my financial
empirehut. I recently undated my dividend champion watchlist and for the first time ever made a proactive move of selling a dividend champion that is overvalued.
- Home Value – A lot of bloggers seem to stress over home value. In my old place I just rounded to a number that I thought I’d sell for (I was off by less than 1%), I think I am just going to use my purchase price for the year and look at comparable home sales next year.
- My Traditional IRA – Have been trading using my covered call strategy, but I have waived the white flag on the strategy and just finished up betting against my first stock.
This account is going to be pure passive by the end of the year hopefully. I started to actively trade this account lol.
- My Mortgage – Every so often I think about putting money towards the mortgage but I always back off.
- Law School debt – While I recently paid off the much smaller of the loans I have a while before this category makes any significant moves.
Credit Card debt!
While I respect liquidity way too much The Wife had different feelings. Despite all the debt being at 0% she wanted it gone. It gave her a sense of security and let her better focus on what was actually being spent each month since there was no balance to worry about. Since it wasn’t like I was making a bad financial move we paid off the card 3 months ago.
My Net Worth Growth
- From November 2013 to December 2013 my net worth increased 2.14%
- Year to Date my net worth is up 4.22%
How did you do this month? Share your links below