I started calculating, recording and sharing some information about my net worth in January of 2011. Since I am not comfortable sharing whole numbers I provide growth information.
I am well aware of the shortcomings of the calculation method, but have promised that if I grow to 400% from that Jan 2011 number I would share it with everyone.
Calculating my Net Worth
The assets I include are:
- My Cash Savings Accounts – This has been my main focus for way too long as we will need all the cash we can get when we finally move. I am excited to think of the possibilities when this isn’t our main focus.
- My 401(k) – I plan on evaluating the holdings and options this month.
- Random Non-Qualified Investment Accounts
- The Wife’s Roth IRA
- My Dividend Investment Portfolio – Easily my favorite part of my financial
- Home Value – I have kept it constant since the beginning of this experiment.
- My Traditional IRA – Which I started actively trading a few months back using a Covered Call Strategy and even created a page to track all my gains (and loses)
The liabilities I include are:
While I am lucky to only have 2 main liabilities, they are very significant in terms of whole numbers.
- Law School Loans
What normal Liabilities are missing?
Someone asked me last month why I have included this section for so long. After thinking about it for a bit I realized the reason was that I am proud that I have accomplished getting rid of these hurdles in my journey.
- Car loan – My car is paid off and I don’t consider it an asset and The Wife leases her car.
- Credit Card debt – Don’t have any except a revolving AMEX account so no reason to put it up
- Checking Accounts – Always changing and moving and since I keep myself cash poor there isn’t a reason to track the account
My Net Worth Growth
- From July 2012 my net worth increased 2.71%
- Year to Date my net worth has increased 30.22%
- From January 2011 to July 2012 my net worth has increased 124.98%
How was your financial month?