Check the status of your Federal Refund with the IRS’ “Where’s my Refund”
I had previously discussed meeting with my accountant, why I wasn’t a huge fan of my account and receiving the news of my New York & Federal income tax refund. Well its been a while, or at least it feels like a while when you are waiting on a couple grand from the government!
Well that is when I found a COOL link which lets you know the status of your tax refund. The website is on the IRS’ website, so I can only assume its safe. You can check it for yourself HERE. Below is a screenshot:
You will need your:
- Social Security
- Filing Status (Single, joint-married, etc.)
- Whole dollar Refund Amount
I thought I it was that easy.
The Status of MY Tax Refund
Well, let me tell you what happened when I hit “Submit.” I received the following screen:
If you can’t read it, it says:
“There is a problem with your return” “Please reference Number 1201”
Needless to say, I freaked out and called my friendly IRS Agent and did in fact reference 1201. While on hold I googled it, and found a bunch of people who had the same problem. Reference Number 1201 seems to indicate a general problem (GREAT!)…so sweating bullets, I was still on hold with the IRS listening to awful bastardization of classical music.
FINALLY! An agent named Mrs. Murphy came on the phone, and I gave her the code. Her response? Please hold I am going to have to look into this. “Please hold?” Damn it people, she was polite as hell but I mean come on this is the IRS – just give me the magic words – No Audit!
Finally, the music stops and Mrs. Murphy is back. She explains that since the wife’s quarterly estimates were made under her social security number (we got married in June) and we filed married-joint (i.e. under my social security). So the computer was trying to reconcile this issue. Say it with me,
However, I am going to wait for my refund anywhere from 3 to 5 more weeks!
Checking the Status of your State’s Tax Refund
I found New York’s Site pretty easily. But as expected that site gave me problems too, so I am hoping its the same issue (I have yet to call). For purposes of this post only, I searched for other state’s and found a website that had these links. I have not checked all the links so I can’t verify each one.
- Alabama Tax Refund Status
- California Tax Refund Status
- Colorado Tax Refund Status
- Delaware Tax Refund Status
- District of Columbia Status
- Idaho Tax Refund Status
- Illinois Tax Refund Status
- Indiana Tax Refund Status
- Iowa Tax Refund Status
- Kansas Tax Refund Status
- Maine Tax Refund Status
- Maryland Tax Refund Status
- Massachusetts Tax Refund Status
- Michigan Tax Refund Status
- Minnesota Tax Refund Status
- Mississippi Tax Refund Status
- Missouri Tax Refund Status
- Nebraska Tax Refund Status
- New York Tax Refund Status
- Ohio Tax Refund Status
- Pennsylvania Tax Refund Status
- Rhode Island Tax Refund Status
- South Carolina Tax Refund Status
- Virginia Tax Refund Status
- West Virginia Tax Refund Status
- Wisconsin Tax Refund Status
I have also made these other updates regarding my taxes: