Every month since January 2011 I have shared how my net worth has changed from the month before, year to date and even the growth since I started this experiment. I share just the progress and not the actual numbers.This absolute zero method has its obvious draw backs like you don’t know if I started at 20 bucks and still have a net worth of less than a couple grand even with all my gains. Notwithstanding, it is the only way I can share comfortably what is going on with the balance sheet of my family without feeling uneasy. The method has even started to gain followers.
Calculating my Net Worth
The assets I include are:
- My Cash Savings Accounts – My house is still on the market so for the most part this is still my main focus. Once the house sells and another one is purchased this will become less and less important above and beyond a fat emergency fund.
- My 401(k) – Last month I said “I talked about reevaluating the holdings, however, I failed to do so. As such a goal of mine this week is to take care of this and as usual I will share the results/changes.” Wow still failed. Next week is the week!
- Random Non-Qualified Investment Accounts
- The Wife’s Roth IRA
- My Dividend Investment Portfolio - Easily my favorite part of my financial
- Home Value – I have kept it constant since the beginning of this experiment.
- My Traditional IRA – Been trading using my covered call strategy. This past month I had a few contracts expire (some called some not). Sometime this month I’ll have to put the cash back to work.
The liabilities I include are:
While I am lucky to only have 2 main liabilities, they are very significant in terms of whole numbers.
- Law School Loans
No CC debt and my car has been paid off for a little over a year.
My Net Worth Growth
- From August 2012 to September my net worth increased 2.55%
- Year to Date my net worth has increased 33.55%
- From January 2011 to July 2012 my net worth has increased 130.73%
I am getting closer and closer to sharing my actual net worth which I promised to do when I hit 400% gain from January 2011.
How was your August 2012?
Latest posts by Evan (see all)
- First Thing You Need to Understand When You Want to Open ANY Business… - June 18, 2013
- Updating and Tweaking the Parameters of my Dividend Watchlist June 2013 - June 17, 2013
- Are People’s Priorities Distorted? Do I Judge too Quickly? - June 12, 2013