While I am not sure if I am included in the statement anymore (since I am old) but I hate when people talk about how “this” generation is the worst one ever. A quote that brings a smile to my face whenever I come across it is,
The Children now love luxury; they show disrespect for elders and love to chatter in place of exercise. Children are tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs and tyrannize over their teachers.”
Written over 2,400 years ago by Socrates it is a wonder that the human race made it is as far as we did, huh? There is no generation in American History which is better than the preceding one:
- The United States currently has the lowest teen birth rate since we started keeping track 70 years ago. There were always overactive forceful teenage men as much as there always has been adventurous females.
- We have had over 20 recessions in the last century – 15 of them lasted over 10 months. This recession is not new phenomenon. We were overleveraged just like we were in the early 90s and in the late 20s.
- It was only Forty Three years ago that interracial marriage was illegal. Could you even imagine a time? Somehow same sex marriage is still illegal?
- There were always have been and always will be drugs. Sears-Roebuck sold Heroine. How f’in ridiculous is that? Imagine calling up Amazon for some H? And all you Baby-Boomers don’t go saying it is different…when you were taking LSD that was bad! You can’t just go around taking hallucinogens and blame it on experimenting.
- It was only 70 years ago when nearly the entire industrialized world was at war with one another. Imagine that today! The American Civil War claimed 625,000 U.S. Military Lives in 4 years, the War on Terror? 5,491 in 9 years.
- Is it that hard to go back in American History to find a group of immigrants being blamed for stealing jobs?
- Porn and Prostitution has literally always existed. Like Literally.
- When was that pesky event when baseball players were accused of cheating? Late 90’s or was it 1919?
- We saw 8.0%+ Unemployment in all of 1975 and from Late 1981 to early 1984 we even had a few months with over 10% unemployment
Am I pessimistic? Absolutely not. Do I want more drug use, teen pregnancy, financial hardship, deaths, and ill will toward a particular type of citizen? Absolutely not.
What I would like is that people realize the past that they idolize just isn’t as amazing as they remember it and to live in the present. Embrace current culture instead of demonizing it.