Earlier this year I started tracking my net worth, but wasn’t entirely comfortable putting the number completely out there, so I came up with a system where I on January 18, 2011 I took my positive net worth made it a zero. Feel free to check out my absolute zero net worth post. This way I can share my gains and loses.
The assets I include are:
- My Cash Savings Accounts
- My 401(k)
- The Wife’s Roth IRA
- My Small but Awesome Dividend Investment Portfolio which I recently updated
- Value of my House
- My Traditional IRA
The liabilities I include are:
- Law School Loans
What is missing?
- Car loan – Paid it off a couple months ago.
- Credit Card debt – Don’t have any except a revolving AMEX account so no reason to put it up
- Checking Accounts – Always changing and moving kept low on purpose so no reason to track it
- Cars – I have no idea why people count cars as an asset. Its transportation not an asset.
- Jewelry - Lets be real The Wife isn’t going to let me pawn it so I can pump up my cash account so why include it.
My Net worth Update
- From September 1, 2011 to October 1, 2011 my net worth only increased 1.83%
- From January 18, 2011 to August 1,2011 my net worth has increased 53.75%
I have complained the last 2 months about my 401(k) and this another month in which I am going to do the same! My 401(k) is at the lowest point since January 2011 despite throwing hundreds upon hundreds of dollars per month! I’ll continue to ignore it until next month when I do this same post and go ape shit once again.
How was your month? Do you have an update?