November Net Worth–Remember To Back Up Your Information Edition

I was shocked earlier this month when I went to update my Net worth spreadsheet only to find it was corrupt! I am not exactly sure what happened but since the file was password protected I couldn’t find anyone that could do both, extract the non-corrupt information and decrypt said information.  I thought that this 10 month experiment of zeroing out my net worth and sharing just my growth.  So consider this my PSA – Back up your files!

Since I have provided my growth on a month to month basis I was able to figure out the whole number result up to my last update.  I did lose about 6 months worth of individual balances but in the end that is nothing compared to knowing the whole number (and subsequent percentage) for purposes of tracking my progress.

Just as a reminder earlier this year I started tracking my net worth, but wasn’t entirely comfortable putting the number completely out there, so I came up with a system where I on January 18, 2011 I took my positive net worth made it a zero.  Feel free to check out my absolute zero net worth post.  This way I can share my gains and loses.

The assets I include are:

• My Cash Savings Accounts
  • My 401(k)
  • Random Non-Qualified Investments Accounts
  • The Wife’s Roth IRA
  • My Small but Awesome Dividend Investment Portfolio which I may change soon to include other dividend lists besides the dividend aristocrats
  • Value of my House
  • My Traditional IRA

The liabilities I include are:

What is missing?

• Car loan  – Paid it off a couple months ago.
  • Credit Card debt – Don’t  have any except a revolving AMEX account so no reason to put it up
  • Checking Accounts – Always changing and moving kept low on purpose so no reason to track it
  • Cars – Wife’s is leased and I don’t consider mine an asset

My Net worth Update

• From to October 1, 2011 to November 1, 2011 my net worth increased 5.54%!
  • From January 18, 2011 to August 1,2011 my net worth has increased 62.27%!

The previous two months I complained about the market, well it sees that until I leave my current income plateau it seems that the market will have more and more of an impact on my net worth….pretty frustrating.  I currently have three very viable streams of income between this blog, another online advertising venture and my “day job.”  I think it may be time to start another small one that wouldn’t take much time, but we’ll see I am spread pretty thin right now in terms of time.

How Was Your Month?

27 Responses to November Net Worth–Remember To Back Up Your Information Edition

1. My blog has started to generate some income over the last couple of months. I figured my potential gains from my day job were more likely to be significant than what I earn blogging, but it really puts things in perspective when my annual raise increased my monthly paycheck by LESS than my new monthly blogging income!

• Evan says:

There is almost zero chance that Blogging will ever touch my income at my job especially when you add in all the benefits of a match and insurance. Notwithstanding it is a FANTASTIC source of secondary income. Fantastic!

2. Liquid says:

“Not backing up one’s data to insure it’s safety is like forgoing free insurance.” – KS

3. Hunter says:

Nothing worse than losing digital info, especially something as simple as a spreadsheet. Tough lesson. Congratulations on a strong month, and a stronger year.

4. I saved the net worth data in a usb stick and the hard drive so it should be ok. October was quite good since the market went up quite a bit. At this point, market fluctuation effect my net worth much more than additional investment.

5. I’ve had some spreadsheets that go awry over time as well; it’s maddening! I’m not sure how or why it happens. I had one that basically stopped updating all formulas even when the cell clearly showed a formula typed in. Oh well, definitely worth the reminder – back it up!

6. I hate when that happens!

I have a cheap jumpdrive that I use occasionally to backup my stuff. I created a batch file so all I have to do is double click the batch file and it runs while I go about my regular internet surfing ways…

As for my net worth, I’m really going to have to start tracking it, I’ve been slacking on my financial awareness lately.

7. I am getting ready to calculate my month. I just got power back last night and still have today off because my work is still dealing with the tree limbs. As a result, I have lots of free time to blog and get to my monthly budget! I can’t wait!

8. Sorry to hear about losing your stuff. Try using Crashplan. We use it at home and it works awesome. It doesn’t cost a lot either.

9. Jenna says:

Thanks for the PSA. Glad you were able to figure out most of your numbers.

10. Suba says:

Sorry you couldn’t recover the data Evan. We use a usb/network drive and save it on Amazon cloud too. As we have our immigration documents in there it is even more important for us to back everything regularly.

• Evan says:

oooo immigration papers are a lot more important than my net worth calcs!

I have a portable HD but its so clunky and big.

11. Dana says:

Sorry this had to happen to you. Thanks for the reminder (warning?) I’m not so good about backing up everything…

I agree that a blog is a great second income :)

12. Glen Craig says:

My paranoia got the best of me over the summer and I finally got an external hard drive. I’ve also been playing around with using Amazon’s clod service for backups.

It paid off when I had a site hack scare. I was able to find my last backup and restore the fiels I needed.

13. Jen says:

Awesome increase in your net worth. :-) A couple of years ago, I lost EVERYTHING and nothing could be recovered. Now, I do a back-up at least once per month, sometimes more often.