November 2012 Net Worth Update

//November 2012 Net Worth Update

November 2012 Net Worth Update

I have been tracking and sharing my net worth since 2011.  Each month I come on here and provide my change in terms of month over month, year to date and since Jan 2011.

Calculating my Net Worth

My Assets

• My Cash Savings Accounts – This has been our main focus for a VERY long time as we will be purchasing a new home in the very near future.  I can’t wait for the process to be done so The Wife and I can make up a number and once it is hit I can ignore the account.
  • My 401(k) – After months of talking about doing it I finally rebalanced and reallocated my 401(k).
  • Random Non-Qualified Investment Accounts
  • The Wife’s Roth IRA
  • My Dividend Investment Portfolio – Easily my favorite part of my financial empire hut.  This month I am going to update my watch list for the final time in 2012.
  • Home Value – I have kept it constant since the beginning of this experiment.
  • My Traditional IRA – Been trading using my covered call strategy.  I have had some activity in this account and owe the site an update post.

The liabilities I include are:

I only have 2 main liabilities, but they are very significant in terms of whole numbers.

• Law School Loans
  • Mortgage – This is going to get a lot larger in the near future

No CC debt and my car has been paid off since July 2011.

My Net Worth “Growth”

• From October 2012 to November 2012 my net worth “increased” .28%
  • Year to Date my net worth has increased 37.54%
  • From January 2011 to October 2012 my net worth has increased 137.63%

My income from the online world has been pretty depressing recently and took the supercharger out of my previous net worth growth updates.  Refusing defeat I have made a lot of under the hood changes to My Journey to Millions and took a new intensity to my small few client law practice.  The loss of income is now combined with the fact that more and more of my net worth changes is controlled by the markets has been frustrating to say the least especially when I paid off over $1,500 of long term debt this past month!

By | 2013-09-26T14:54:16+00:00 November 1st, 2012|Personal Situation|13 Comments

1. Joe November 1, 2012 at 11:46 am - Reply

Looks like it’s going to be tough to repeat last year 100%+ performance. That’s what happens when your net worth gets much bigger than your income. It’s a good thing right? 🙂

• Evan November 2, 2012 at 4:41 pm - Reply

It would be fantastic thing if I didn’t feel a sense of annoyance when the number doesn’t grow LOL.

2. Jenna November 1, 2012 at 6:06 pm - Reply

Can’t wait to see the improvements on MJTM!

• Evan November 2, 2012 at 4:41 pm - Reply

Hopefully you don’t see them! I have been going back to every old post and updating SEO stuff.

3. Thomas S. Moore November 2, 2012 at 9:19 am - Reply

Looking good but why is the mortgage going to get larger?

• Evan November 2, 2012 at 4:42 pm - Reply

We are buying a home in the next 6 weeks or so and the mortgage is going from $232,000 (beginning balance) to $400,000 or so

4. Financial Samurai November 2, 2012 at 3:01 pm - Reply

How much you worth big dawg?!

Great statement at the end… how the markets control more than you. Don’t let it, by building alternative income streams! Don’t let it, by knowing more and taking advantage of the market!

• Evan November 2, 2012 at 4:51 pm - Reply

I have no where near the foresight you do with the market. I mostly focus on the boring dividend paying stocks so that takes the market and the alt income stream lol!

As far as the number – lets say I am far far far away from any type of number I’d be happy with sharing.

5. Kathleen November 2, 2012 at 3:06 pm - Reply

I could not figure out why improvement was in quotes but then I saw the number. I think nice things about you ever time I open my copy of this spreadsheet!

6. Darwin's Money November 3, 2012 at 12:28 pm - Reply

I run my net worth monthly too and find it’s almost completely market-driven. Some months I may have a big expense or the rare big blog income month, but that tends to be background noise compared to the market.

Not to be a downer, but we are overdue for a major correction, so be prepared for a few months of big disappointment in these numbers. We’re in it for the long haul though right? Decades! Stocks SHOULD win out over bonds, cash equivalents…

• Evan November 14, 2012 at 2:48 pm - Reply

What kind of correction do you think is coming? Have you slowed down putting cash into the market because your gut?