I am not exactly sure how normal people handle their finances. First thing is first, I don’t believe myself to be normal when it comes to the personal finance realm. This is not to say I am extraordinary, but rather, I think a better synonym would be weird.
I write on a personal finance blog and work inside a financial planning firm, so sometimes I am disconnected from the “real” personal finance world. The world which may include people who do not give a lot of thought about credit card debt, whether their monthly bills are optimized or whether they are simply spending more than what they are taking in. I created this blog, at least in part, to talk about what I am doing with those exact topics and that just makes me weird:
- I have a spreadsheet with my accounts and net worth
- I have this blog where I publicly state my yearly and short term ($5K at a time) goals
- I get inspiration by seeing people who I started blogging with really making a difference in their family’s lives
- I am “forced” to research my watch list for dividend paying stocks (and then feel like crap if I don’t get a big enough investment in that month)
I doubt I’ll get much response, but for those of you who do not have a personal finance blog:
How do you handle your finances?
- Do you keep a spread sheet?
- Do you keep yourself accountable to anyone?
- Do you and your spouse speak about money?
- Is there a long term or short term plan? Do you share it with anyone?