At the beginning of each month I calculate to see if my net worth has gone up or down and share that with all my readers. Quick knock on wood because I have not had a down month in the 14 or so months since I started tracking my net worth.
However, because I am not comfortable sharing my exact net worth I share my gain’s in a percentage compared to that of January 2011 when I took my positive net worth and made it $0. This way I can share with the reader some of my information (i.e. how I am doing) but not so much where I am uncomfortable. I am well aware of the limitations of this system.
Calculating my Net Worth
The assets I include are:
- My Cash Savings Accounts – This has been my main focus for over a year, as we will need all the cash we can get when we upgrade our living situation. Considering my house is going on the market TODAY March 1st, 2012 this is becoming very real.
- My 401(k)
- Random Non-Qualified Investment Accounts
- The Wife’s Roth IRA
- My favorite personal finance item, my small but Awesome Dividend Investment Portfolio
- Value of my House – I have kept this constant choosing to ignore this variable. It should be interesting to see whether I close north or south of that number and how that will affect my net worth since this is my biggest asset (even net of liabilities).
- My Traditional IRA – Which I started actively trading this week. I will provide an update to the system I am using.
The liabilities I include are:
- Law School Loans
What is missing?
- Car loan – My car is paid off and I don’t consider it an asset and The Wife leases her car.
- Credit Card debt – Don’t have any except a revolving AMEX account so no reason to put it up
- Checking Accounts – Always changing and moving besides I keep my checking accounts artificially low.
My Net Worth Growth
- From February 1, 2012 my net worth has increased 5.02%
- Year to Date my net worth has increased 13.04%
- From January 2011 to February 2012 my net worth has increased 95.30% – I think next month will finally be the month where I double my net worth!
Most of my gains this month have come from the market and not from saving and paying down long term debt. I am not sure that is a good or bad thing, but rather inevitable, as the amount that I save or the amount I am comfortable throwing at debt will have less and less impact. I should note that I refuse to say that the market gains are luck as I will explain in another post what I have been doing with my IRA recently.
How did you do so far in 2012? Please share your links below!