Keeping Myself Accountable to my Football Endeavors

If you follow me on twitter you’ll randomly see pictures from me playing cards or going into a casino.  I really enjoy gambling.  That being said, I don’t ever spend all that much doing so…I get a sick feeling in my stomach knowing that one hand, one roll, etc cost me too much (Side note: this is why I don’t play craps).

Every year I am involved in multiple pools/fantasy football leagues.  By the end of the year I always say I break even, but that can’t possibly be true.  So this year for the first time I am going to let everyone in to see how I do:

• One Half Fantasy League (with AVS) – $85
  • Brother’s League – $150
  • Work Fantasy League – $250
  • Suicide Pool – $100 Received for free since I got so many people to sign up through me
  • My League – $0 I take 3 free spots
  • Boss Man’s League – $0 I take a free spot for doing the back end work

Total invested this season $400 please root for me!

Update October 9 – Already won one week in Boss’ league! $250

18 Responses to Keeping Myself Accountable to my Football Endeavors

1. PK says:

I’ll root for you… but only because you’re not my competition. Only one league for me this year. However, I am up all time, consider it luck or whatever. I won the March Madness Pool and was runner up in the Football league (I’d actually prefer if second place didn’t win anything, I told them to stop the redistribution. I lost that.)

Anyway, good luck, draft strong!

2. AverageJoe says:

I’m also gearing up for fantasy football. Draft day might be my favorite part. I did fantasy baseball for the first time this year. Might not be my thing because I looked at it a total of about 5 times this year and made the least moves by far of anyone in our league (I think I’ve made 8 moves). Just went on yesterday to check out my team….and I’m in freakin’ 2nd place! Mad skillz…..

• Evan says:

I heard fantasy baseball is a huge pain in the ass?! I don’t follow the sport at all but everyone makes it seem like there is so much more work to do (for most I guess lol)

3. Fantasy football’s amusing. All my leagues are free though – if I want to do gambling I know where to find a poker table.

4. DebtsnTaxes says:

Ahh, Draft day is coming up for me also. I have 3 of them coming up. One on the 27th, one on the 29th and the last one on the 3rd. I only have around $180 invested every year for this but normally I make at least half of it back. Good luck in your FF season.

5. Good luck! That’s quite the busy season you’ve got.

• Evan says:

I also have the added problem of a 22 month old who will know probably limit my ability to sit over a computer and study just how awesome I am doing

6. The BoBo says:

Hey, Evan!!! Too rich for my blood! I generally stay away from gambling altogether. My only exception are the Super Bowl pools – I’ll drop about $20 and that’s it. Go Stillers!

Anyway, just wanted to let you know I’m back in the blogosphere again. I’ll be dropping by more often now!

• Evan says:

The BoBo is back just in time for election! Good to see you.

I don’t gamble large sums of money (can’t stomach it) but absolutely love gambling.

7. Good luck! I only do one fantasy football league and it’s $45. I’m down about $20 over four years. Here’s to a big win this year, for both of us!

8. TM @ Young and Thrifty says:

Another personal finance guy who loves fantasy football?! Sweet! I’m in four leagues. Three years ago I started tracking my results. Last year was the first year I lost, and overall I was down $30. Over the three year span, I’m up about $400, and I’m fairly certain that the 4 years before I started keeping track I would up by a fair margin as well. If you calculate the hours of “research” I put into, I’m probably making about 50 cents an hour!

9. virginia says:

Good luck. I play FF mostly for the social aspect. I’m in for $20 this year but I probably spend about $300/year gambling. I prefer poker and pai gow.