I am very excited to have made it out of January 2013 alive and without a drinking problem as it was filled with some great highs mixed in with some terrible, awful lows. First, The Wife and I moved out of the home we started our family (and somewhere along the line became adults in) which we sold a month earlier (January 7th, 2013). This lead to her going with my boy to her parents for 10 days and then coming back to Long Island joining me at my parents for the next 8 days. During that time we closed on the house (January 18th) ; we didn’t move in right away because we had to wait for the movers to bring back our stuff from storage, painter to paint and carpet people to rip up and install new carpets (Moved in on January 25th). On the same day we closed, we found out a couple hours later that The Wife’s Grandmother passed away (January 18th). The following week (2 days after we officially moved into our house) we traveled about 4 hours to the wake and funeral (January 27th and January 28th) . At the end of the wake The Wife stayed for an extra day while I rented a 12 foot truck to drive some of the furniture we were taking so they can live on in our new home.
I was hoping that this post, published on February 1st, 2013 was going to be when I could tell everyone in the blog world that The Wife was pregnant with our second child as we were supposed to have our 12 week appointment today (On January 31, 2013). Instead on January 30, 2013 The Wife had some spotting so she made an appointment with the OB-GYN where we found out we had lost our child. The pain is a bit less than the first time two and a half years ago mainly because it is hard to be sad when I have my boy to remind me not only is the end game possible its amazing when it happens.
Are you Exhausted yet? Because I am fucking drained.
If all that wasn’t emotionally draining enough – writing this post is going to hurt. Between attorney fees, title closing, furniture, new TV., etc. (each etc. seems to be 4+ Figures) I am positive that my net worth took a HUGE hit. Will it rebound? Of course! Just going to take a while.
Calculating my Net Worth
- My Cash Savings Accounts – After 2 months of flux I think this account is back to its normal boring self, except it has been cut in a third! Ouch. Most of it has been turned into the illiquid asset of our home since I put 20% down.
- My 401(k) – Just keep throwing part of my paycheck at my newly rebalanced and reallocated my 401(k).
- Random Non-Qualified Investment Accounts
- The Wife’s Roth IRA – This account only holds to 2 funds. An index fund of the market and a dividend paying fund.
- My Dividend Investment Portfolio – Easily my favorite part of my financial
- Home Value – A lot of bloggers seem to stress over home value. In my old place I just rounded to a number that I thought I’d sell for (I was off by less than 1%), I think I am just going to use my purchase price for the year.
- My Traditional IRA – Been trading using my covered call strategy and I recently just bet against my first stock this month! Will provide an update next week.
- My Mortgage – Last month, I didn’t have a mortgage but it is back with a vengeance!
- Law School debt – While I recently paid off the much smaller of the loans I have a while before this category makes any significant moves.
- Credit Card debt!
I haven’t had credit card debt in 3 or so years, but with all these new purchases I knew it was coming. I called up all my dormant credit cards to see what they could do in terms of 0% on purchases. One of them offered me 0% until June 2014! Wow. So I have been throwing a lot on that card. While I have the liquidity to pay off the debt I prefer not because I respect liquidity way too much and the debt is at 0%. The debt isn’t as much as when I started this blog (~$18K) but it is a good amount.
My Net Worth Growth
- From January 2013 to February 2013 my net worth increased decreased –13.58% (yup just threw up a bit in my mouth)
- From January 2011 to February 2013 my net worth has increased 104.17% (down from 136.25%)
The shitty ass month that is January 2013 is behind me. Time to refocus!
Latest posts by Evan (see all)
- Caring Less about the Financial Stupidty of Others - May 16, 2013
- Empty Pockets? What Are Your Options? - May 14, 2013
- Mo Money Means Mo (IRS) Problems - May 13, 2013