The Idea that Money Has No Value is Complete Bullshit

//The Idea that Money Has No Value is Complete Bullshit

The Idea that Money Has No Value is Complete Bullshit

I was reading a quick article on Business Insider with the very catchy title, “It Kills me To Watch My Employees Blow through their Bonuses” when I saw a comment that made me want to rip my hair out.  The original article was simple enough, a business owner who couldn’t believe what his employees used their bonuses on.  It wasn’t even that preachy when you compare it to personal finance blogs.  When I came across the quoted comment I immediately became infuriated,

…Why keep money? It’s just paper, it has no real value.

This type of statement is complete and utter bullshit on both a practical and a literal level.

Saying that Money has No Value is a Piss Poor Cop Out

On a very literal level the definition of money infers that there is value through using it as a medium of exchange in society.  So to say it has no value is just utter and complete bullshit.  It may have more or less value but money in it of itself has value…otherwise it wouldn’t be money it would be just paper not readily exchangeable for goods and services in society.  I am assuming it is a he, because I’d like to believe women are smarter than men when leaving angry and idiotic comments on random articles on the internet.  I could be wrong, but I am going to have a little more faith in the fairer sex.  Notwithstanding, I don’t really think he was attempting to make a literal argument, so what did he really mean?

If I had to guess he was making the argument that there is zero reason to save since you can’t take money wherever you are going after you leave this planet (if anywhere).  That type of attitude is freaking ridiculous and is a cop out against doing something that may seem harder in the present.  You don’t know when you are going to die so may be it is a good idea to have some of that “value-less” money somewhere so you can use it? Do you have children? Then that value-less money may be benefiicial for them too – whether you are alive or dead?

While I find investing enjoyable I know most people do not.  However, that is what is necessary in most situations to ever retire (either on an early or common schedule).  I, nor anyone else, has the right to tell anyone else how to spend one’s money, but to make the blanket statement that money isn’t valuable is ridiculous and short sighted.

yolo 3

…or joke is on me because I am responding to an obvious internet troll who makes comments just to illicit this type of heated response.

By | 2016-11-07T22:34:10+00:00 December 22nd, 2014|Random|6 Comments

1. Alexis December 23, 2014 at 11:52 pm - Reply

Haha, I love the yolo meme at the end. A lot of people definitely have that mentality.

• Evan January 5, 2015 at 3:50 pm - Reply

It is unbelievable how many times I hear, “it is just money.” No, it is not – it is the future purchasing or investing power of that money.

2. Paul N December 26, 2014 at 2:32 pm - Reply

That was a good link. It is no surprise though. If you work in any office and you look around your coworkers all are the same as the ones depicted in the article.

As for that persons comment he also could be a gold bug. There are a lot people out there that feel currency is worthless in relation to gold for example. “Gold is real money, paper is just a promise”. But in this case probably not.

• Evan January 5, 2015 at 3:58 pm - Reply

“The most important aspect of money is not in the number. It’s value is the freedom it buys you. Most will never comprehend that. If you lose your job tomorrow and can’t get one soon, will you lose your house and car a month later, or can you fall back on your savings and investments and weather out the gap easily. ”

Damn it, Paul! Well f’n said!

“I liked the variety of comments in particular “kryptics” stating the we “investors” need people like the one you wrote this article about. We need people over consuming, making poor choices in financial matters, and buying new cars. I won’t do those things, but being a micro owner of power financial, Pepsi and coke, and some auto car and parts companies etc. maybe it’s a good thing that the larger percentage acts the way they do when given a windfall?”
      – I have thought about this topic in the past and I could argue both sides. The easy side is that we need these people (otherwise my dividend income from KO might be gone), however, even if people didn’t buy shitty food-like products I would invest in something else that might be good for someone and profitable.

3. Funny about Money December 28, 2014 at 11:31 am - Reply

LOL! Money may not be everything, but it beats whatever’s in second place.

We had a neighbor with that attitude, lo these many years ago. He was a neurologist, so made a handsome income, back in the days before HMOs, refractory insurance companies, and other detriments to doctors’ pay.

They were quite pleased with themselves over a ridiculous building project they’d concocted: they killed and uprooted a spectacular, ancient carob tree that shaded the pretty back courtyard of a historic house they occupied. The courtyard was an integral part of the home and landscaping, and it was SUCH a lovely thing. They ripped it out to put in a generic-ugly swimming pool, the sort of thing you seen thrown into the backyards of elbow-to-elbow development houses.

We were down at their house having cocktails and he was showing off the plans. When he mentioned the cost, our jaws dropped. My husband was a corporate lawyer, so you can be sure an amount that caused his jaw to drop was an AMOUNT! DH gasped out some comment, and the guy shrugged and said, “It’s only money.”

Whatever.

• Evan January 5, 2015 at 4:00 pm - Reply

Maybe not a neurologist, but the average person who says “it’s only money” is the person that will be working till die not because they want to!