//What does a Corporate Lawyer and the Genie from Aladdin Have in Common? Friday Trivia

I had a really interesting conversation with a client the other day.  To give you a little background, I don’t know him personally (that is to say outside one or two conversations), he is 50 years old, successful, not ultra high worth successful but amazingly comfortable, couple kids, a wife and he wanted to map out his retirement cash flow.  It was during this conversation that he said something to me that for some reason I can’t get out of my mind.  So since I own this blog you get to hear about it!

Part of his future cash flow is a non-qualified defined benefit pension, that is to say when he hits 62 he will have an income of $130,000/yr pre tax, but it was during this conversation that has got me pondering.  He said to me,

If I have to wait to 62 to retire, I am going to lose my mind

With that story in mind watch the following video:

So what do the Corporate Lawyer and The Genie from Aladdin Have in Common?

By | 2016-11-07T22:08:23+00:00 December 10th, 2010|Personal Finance|14 Comments

1. Dan December 10, 2010 at 9:12 am - Reply

They both want to be free but are bound to obligations. They both also want someone to wish for their freedom. Close?

2. Veronique December 10, 2010 at 1:09 pm - Reply

I go along with Dan!
    I would also say they are both not doing what they want to do.

3. Wil Possible December 10, 2010 at 2:47 pm - Reply

They are capable of doing more but they are also trapped inside a bottle, or a box as most corporate attorneys work in.

4. My Personal Finance Journey December 11, 2010 at 3:35 pm - Reply

I agree! They are both longing to be free to do what they want and travel! Great video this is! I love Aladin!

5. Kellen December 11, 2010 at 6:14 pm - Reply

I would say its more like they value freedom more than power/riches, except your high worth individual is probably going to wait and get the pension, which means he values that more…

• Evan December 12, 2010 at 12:42 pm - Reply

Believe it or not I think he’ll end up banking CASH for the next 5 years and take back is life after that

6. Financial Samurai December 11, 2010 at 7:31 pm - Reply

Love Robin Williams!

The answer is simple. Being a lawyer sucks just like being a genie sucks!

• Evan December 12, 2010 at 12:39 pm - Reply

HAHAHAHAHAHAH OUCH!

7. Don December 11, 2010 at 8:30 pm - Reply

lol, SAM’s answer had me rolling on the floor!

I think your golden handcuffs picture says it all. That’s a pretty big nut to have in the end, but a long time to do the required monkey dance… that’s for sure!

I guess it suck being in servitude to the big corporations! (hmmm, I guess Sam’s answer was spot on after all).

• Evan December 12, 2010 at 12:51 pm - Reply

I am young (29) but I don’t think I would mind some golden handcuffs LOL!

8. Evan December 12, 2010 at 12:38 pm - Reply

@Dan @Veronique @MyPersonalFinanceJourney @Wil

Fantastic insights!

9. Veronique December 13, 2010 at 10:34 am - Reply

@Evan, thank you, the genie inspired me! Though I don’t want to be trapped like him! 😉

10. Sandy December 16, 2010 at 9:27 pm - Reply

I dont have an answer but I want to be that attorney! As it is I’m looking at working until 67 with no golden parachute. Sigh.