December 2011 Net Worth Update

//December 2011 Net Worth Update

December 2011 Net Worth Update

November was a mixed month as I celebrated (yet again) my 30th birthday and I had a great thanksgiving weekend, but fiscally speaking it was sub-par at best and frustrating at worst.  Despite increasing my 401(k) contributions, saving more liquid cash than average and buying more dividend paying stocks then I ever had before I basically tread water this past month.

What is Included in My Net Worth?

The assets I include are:

• My Cash Savings Accounts
  • My 401(k)
  • Random Non-Qualified Investments Accounts
  • The Wife’s Roth IRA
  • My Small but Awesome Dividend Investment Portfolio which I will update in the next week to include other dividend lists besides the dividend aristocrats
  • Value of my House
  • My Traditional IRA

The liabilities I include are:

What is missing?

• Car loan  – Paid it off about 6 months ago
  • Credit Card debt – Don’t  have any except a revolving AMEX account so no reason to put it up
  • Checking Accounts – Always changing and moving kept low on purpose so no reason to track it
  • Cars – Wife’s is leased and I don’t consider mine an asset

How I Calculate my Net Worth?

The simple answer is subtract liabilities from assets, but I am not entirely comfortable putting the number completely out there, so I came up with a system where I took my January 2011 positive net worth made it a zero.  Feel free to check out my absolute zero net worth post.  This way I can share my gains and loses.

• From November 1, 2011 to November 30, 2011 my net worth increased only 1.32%
  • From January 2011 to November 30, 2011 my net worth has increased 64.41%

I am always happy with a positive increase it is a bit disheartening to do everything right throughout the month and to a greater extent then I have ever before just to stay in the same basic place.

Will I do anything different? Probably not since it seems that my net worth is starting to get tied more and more to the stock market.

How did you do this month?

By | 2013-09-26T14:57:18+00:00 November 30th, 2011|Personal Situation|8 Comments

1. slug November 30, 2011 at 10:47 am - Reply

Yeah, even with the new methodology you’ve implemented, I just don’t get much from these posts. The % increase is irrelevant unless we know the base $ amts.

I know it’s easier for me b/c there are so few people who actually know me on my blog. I believe the number is 5, including my wife. If your friends and family follow you, that makes it harder. I avoided that in order to maintain transparency.

• Evan November 30, 2011 at 11:22 am - Reply

I can see why these posts may frustrate some, but I started this blog first and foremost as a “blog” where I can go back and read old posts of mine.

I know no one else does, but I love going back and reading my old net worth updates to see the growth even if it is at a % basis.

2. Jeff November 30, 2011 at 11:47 am - Reply

Looks like you had an alright month as well – I was able to pay off 1 student loan and save some, even though I booked my honeymoon trip and my flight. Hopefully next month I wont spend SOOO much.

3. Jenna November 30, 2011 at 4:26 pm - Reply

Congrats on the increase! I did pretty good myself this November too!

4. Amanda L Grossman November 30, 2011 at 8:47 pm - Reply

Looks like you will need to change your “about me” at the bottom of the post (still says you are 29!).

I will be hanging onto 29 as long as I can too…..:).

5. 20's Finances December 1, 2011 at 7:13 am - Reply

Thanks for the reminder – I will have to see how I did tonight! I’m excited, but like you the biggest change always comes from the stock market… *sigh* But, as I keep telling myself, it will get better and there will be great months.

6. Aloysa December 1, 2011 at 4:15 pm - Reply

Honestly, I never even looked at out net worth for one reason only: don’t want to get upset. 🙂 Yours looks great, especially that 64% increase.

7. Barb Friedberg December 3, 2011 at 10:36 pm - Reply

Hey Evan, Glad you had a good month. I don’t pay much attention to monthly shifts in net worth. With investing, returns in the short term are always volatile. ps look for a question you asked me to be featured in an upcoming post:)