November was a mixed month as I celebrated (yet again) my 30th birthday and I had a great thanksgiving weekend, but fiscally speaking it was sub-par at best and frustrating at worst. Despite increasing my 401(k) contributions, saving more liquid cash than average and buying more dividend paying stocks then I ever had before I basically tread water this past month.
What is Included in My Net Worth?
The assets I include are:
- My Cash Savings Accounts
- My 401(k)
- Random Non-Qualified Investments Accounts
- The Wife’s Roth IRA
- My Small but Awesome Dividend Investment Portfolio which I will update in the next week to include other dividend lists besides the dividend aristocrats
- Value of my House
- My Traditional IRA
The liabilities I include are:
- Law School Loans
What is missing?
- Car loan – Paid it off about 6 months ago
- Credit Card debt – Don’t have any except a revolving AMEX account so no reason to put it up
- Checking Accounts – Always changing and moving kept low on purpose so no reason to track it
- Cars – Wife’s is leased and I don’t consider mine an asset
How I Calculate my Net Worth?
The simple answer is subtract liabilities from assets, but I am not entirely comfortable putting the number completely out there, so I came up with a system where I took my January 2011 positive net worth made it a zero. Feel free to check out my absolute zero net worth post. This way I can share my gains and loses.
- From November 1, 2011 to November 30, 2011 my net worth increased only 1.32%
- From January 2011 to November 30, 2011 my net worth has increased 64.41%
I am always happy with a positive increase it is a bit disheartening to do everything right throughout the month and to a greater extent then I have ever before just to stay in the same basic place.
Will I do anything different? Probably not since it seems that my net worth is starting to get tied more and more to the stock market.
How did you do this month?
Latest posts by Evan (see all)
- Caring Less about the Financial Stupidty of Others - May 16, 2013
- Empty Pockets? What Are Your Options? - May 14, 2013
- Mo Money Means Mo (IRS) Problems - May 13, 2013