How did your $1000 Challenge go? Mine went phenomenally, but more on that after I address my other August goals.
- Read King Lear: Success! I actually read 2 other books as well, some investing book and The Well Trained Mind.
- $500 extra towards mortgage: Success! I hope to be able to add an extra $1000 consistently by the beginning of 2013 so for the rest of the year I will be trying to up my payments.
- Cardio class 4x’s per week: Success! This is getting more difficult as my pregnancy progresses but I was able to do it this month. I’m hoping to continue it throughout the entire pregnancy but only time will tell. 17 more weeks to go.
- Lower internet bill: Success! All I did was call them up and ask them what they could do for me in terms of making the payments a little more manageable. They lowered the price $20 per month for the next 12 months. I highly recommend that everyone contact their internet, phone, and cable providers at least once a year to negotiate rates. This has saved me hundreds every year.
- Finish bedroom remodel: Fail. This got put off because of a death in my husband’s family. It is set to be finished the second week of September.
- Stay in budget: Success! After not tracking our budget for 2 months, I’m extremely happy how this month went. It was surprising to me that I didn’t have to pay close attention to this in order to succeed.
- Purchase life insurance policy: Fail. This too was a fail because of a death in the family. Since my husband’s aunt is the agent we deal with this was put off for a couple weeks. We have gotten our quotes and just need to pick which works best for us.
- $1000 challenge: Success, success, success! I rocked this challenge. Halfway through August I was already at $1000 but decided to just keep pushing it to earn more. The final amount I earned this month was $1,485!! This was a really fun challenge that pushed me to find ways to earn more. I will certainly be doing this challenge again in the near future. Here’s the breakdown of how I earned the extra money.
- $1000 came from pet sitting.
- $485 came from things like freelance writing, cleaning, selling some items, credit card rewards, and completing surveys online.
September is going to be a more relaxed month in terms of trying to earn money because I have some house projects I’d like to get started. Here are my goals for this month.
- Finish bedroom remodel
- Purchase life insurance policy
- $500 extra to mortgage
- Find a place to buy cabinet doors for the kitchen
- Take a 2 day trip somewhere (I’m thinking Ocean City, MD)
- Teach Rosalyn the alphabet. She’s got a good amount of them down, upper and lower case, and has been very interesting in them so I think this should be fun and easy.
- Lower our car insurance premium
Readers: How did your August goals turn out? If you joined me in the challenge how did it go? Any fun goals for September?
Side note: Evan Posted his September Net Worth Update Yesterday