For the first time in 2013 I finally had a positive net worth growth month over month. This has been particularly painful for me since I only had one or two months of down months in all of 2011 and 2012. Hopefully this isn’t the last month of positive growth for 2013!
Calculating my Net Worth
- My Cash Savings Accounts – I only really count my long term savings account/Emergency Fund. This month I am going to come up with my optimum amount that I want to keep in cash.
- My 401(k) – Just keep throwing part of my paycheck at my 401(k) even though I sort of hate my 401k.
- Random Non-Qualified Investment Accounts
- The Wife’s Roth IRA – This account only holds to 2 funds. An index fund of the market and a dividend paying fund.
- My Dividend Investment Portfolio – Easily my favorite part of my financial
- Home Value – A lot of bloggers seem to stress over home value. In my old place I just rounded to a number that I thought I’d sell for (I was off by less than 1%), I think I am just going to use my purchase price for the year and worry about it next year.
- My Traditional IRA – Been trading using my covered call strategy and earlier this year I bet against my first stock!
- My Mortgage – I can’t believe the amount of principal paid in one month when compared to my last mortgage.
- Law School debt – While I recently paid off the much smaller of the loans I have a while before this category makes any significant moves.
- Credit Card debt!
I haven’t had credit card debt in 3 or so years, but with all these new purchases I knew it was coming. I called up all my dormant credit cards to see what they could do in terms of 0% on purchases. One of them offered me 0% until June 2014! The Wife and I have been using that card as our main card since I am thinking about breaking up with American Express. Last month, I was concerned whether I was just treading water or making progress on the principal. I am happy to say that even though the card is being used for our day to day expenses I still took an extra 10% off of it. While I have the liquidity to pay off the debt I prefer not because I respect liquidity way too much and the debt is at 0%. The debt isn’t as much as when I started this blog (~$18K) but it is a good amount.
My Net Worth Growth
- From March 2013 to April 2013 my net worth increased 5.07%
- Year to Date my net worth is still down 10.51%.
I am worried to see what will happen to the net worth if the market has a correction.
How was your month?